Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Stereotypes of Youth


THREE STEREOTYPES OF YOUTH

·       We come to know youth as incomplete, in-transition, finding themselves, hormone-driven, emotional, inexperienced, and always in opposition to the adults in their lives. (pg. 1) Bogad

·       They (Youth) don’t trust them! (pg. 268) Steinberg

·       “Youth problem,”“At risk” (pg. 269) Steinberg

WHY

·       Media; (tv, magazines, the internet, and more!) Here is my blog post I did with Bogad when I was in her teenager and media class.


·       Assumptions about who youth are and what we, as adults, should expect of them. (pg. 1) Bogad

·       Popular images of youth created a suspect society driven by desire and the ability to

terrify adults. (pg. 268) Steinberg

·       Generations: 50s, 60s, 70s, ……… The 20s these years change over time, but adults relate back to their youth, and they say it's not how “I was brought up back in the day.



 SHARING TIME

·       I never actually got treated not equally, most of the adults around treated me more like an older person because they always thought my age was older than I really was. I talked maturely for my age and never really got disrespect or mistreated from adults. I’m very thankful for people treating me equally because I feel more well rounded. If I can really think of one, then I change my statement and post in the comments below.








4 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I enjoyed your blog post a lot!! I thought the way you laid all of the text and pictures out was very smart and visually appealing. I appreciated your personal excerpt about how carried yourself in a mature manner. I think that carrying yourself in that way opened alot of doors for your career !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, how interesting that you never felt diminished by adults based on your age. What behaviors or approaches did you experience as a young person that you are taking forward (or hope to) in your own youth work? Thanks for sharing, Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the pictures that you picked! It makes the text stand out and it gives the reader an idea of what you want us to get from it. I also like how you shared how adults always talked to you maturely. (relates to the text)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily! I also like the picture that you used in your post. I also like how you said adults always talked to you in a mature way.I also experienced that as a teen and how i could have "adult" conversations with adults. This was a great post nice job!!

    ReplyDelete

SWIM TEAM

Oo Ahhhhhh!! So, on November 11 th I did an event, that I helped the swim team at the YMCA in Smithfield Rhode Island for their swim me...